Sunday, March 14, 2010

help? please.

Anyone who reads this blog, regularly or occasionally, knows me well enough to know I'm fickle. And it's so bad, fickle is now becoming an understatement. It's bad. Anyway, enough about my faults for now, I'm here to beg for your help. We have this armoire that we used to use for our tv but now sits empty in our spare bedroom. We can use it for a tv again, or add a shelf and use it for clothing/blankets/etc. I've listed it on Craigslist, at least twice, and always have people interested but chicken out when it comes time to commit to selling it. I know, I know, how rude of me, right? I just can't help it. I picture it, painted a very pale gray-ish white to give it a casual beachy feel, especially with the knotty pine "worm holes" showing through. Problem is, I'd have to leave the rusty looking hinges and pulls since I have no idea where to buy hinges that would work the way these do. I.e. external and allow the doors to open flush to the sides. HUGE perk for me for this piece of furniture. Not sure if I love the idea because it would make it look like an older piece that has been corroded by salty sea air, or if I don't like the idea at all. What do you all think??? I seriously cannot make up my mind so I'm counting on you all to help me out. Please. Please. Pretty please. With sugar on top.


*nevermind the two-tone sage walls. this photo was taken BEFORE the guest room project started, which is still a work in progress. *see below photo

*nevermind the unfinished paint job on the walls. SEVERELY unhappy with the primer I used. sidebar: the bottom shelves are not covered by a thick layer of dust contrary to what my camera shows. trust me, I ran my hand over them after seeing the photo and being appalled. it's a combination of the knotty pine being a "dry" looking wood, and shadows.

I'm counting on you ladies... :)

4 comments:

  1. Oooh. I'd leave the hinges, paint it the grey you talked about and see how it looks. I think the rusty hinges would look fab. If you don't like them, you can always paint right over them later. Try it out. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pine Tree Home... I was going to say just paint over them too.. and either leave the handle the same or you could get a different one. If the paint chips off the hinges a little it would go with the look! But you could always leave them and see how they look and then paint them if you don't like them! Good luck!! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would paint it the pale gray/white color you are talking about and then dry paint the hinges with some of the same gray/white paint to give them a different, but still aged looking appearance. That way, the hinges will be darker than the piece itself, but still looked tied in. Good luck! I can't wait to see what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly..you don't need any help...sounds like you know what you are talking about you fickle girl you...it's just paint for pete's sake hahaha

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by and as always, for your kind comments. each and every one sure does bring a smile to my face.