Sunday, April 24, 2011

sew that's what i've been up to; slipcovers.

Remember when I mentioned needing to not only learn how to work my sewing machine but actually open the box?

You don't?

Yeah, me either because it's been so long ago. But, I'm happy (and very proud) to say that I finally did open it and completely surprised I actually figured out how to thread the darn thing.

I've managed to sew some stuff.
=)

Let me assure you, it's far from perfect.
My lines aren't the straightest. (Although they're getting better.)
The large pillow covers may be slightly too small.
My lack of patience and normally short amount of (todddler nap) time to work with, leaves ironing to be ignored. But I'm learning how important that can be.
And I have a slight obsession with ruffles, yet my machine won't ruffle fabric on it's own so frustration sometimes runs high.

But, I think it's fun.

And, I've managed to make these:
(pillow covers and an ottoman slipcover)







Not too bad for my first.time.ever using a sewing machine, right?

I used drop cloth and it is much more practical than the suede covers that were on the pillows. *A toddler boy (runny noses, sticky fingers, leaky cups, etc.) is not a good combination with suede. And it makes the giant leather sofa much lighter and brighter.

Case in point.
The before.


The white sofa, rug, and coffee table have been replaced with a new furniture layout and a comfy ottoman. The inspiration and tutorial I used as a guideine for the ottoman can be seen here at one of my favorite blogs.

We didn't have the ottoman but once I saw that tutorial, I went on the hunt and found one on Craigslist for $50 that was perfect size in front of the huge sofa.

It wasn't very pretty...

But, I fixed that.
=)

There are still changes on the way.

The recliner is finally going to go.
I'm going to attempt to sew a slipcover for the armchair shown in the photos.
The shelves will be taken down and replaced with a big old farmhouse mantel.
*who says you have to have an actual fireplace to have a mantel? not me.
That giant orange-ish buffet will get a big dose of sanding and white paint.
And, eventually I'll love a layout for the living room and be better at accessorizing it.
Eventually.

For now, I'm happy sewing a straight line.
=)

I'm linking up here:

UndertheTableandDreaming





15 comments:

  1. Wow! Not. bad. at. all.

    That was your first time sewing? (hard to believe) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOKS BEAUTIFUL !!! love leather with white..perfect combo!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA! Im so happy you finally got the sewing machine out! Everything looks wonderful! I can't wait to see everything else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda! I think you did a fabulous job on all of it! You give me hope because my first sewing machine is due to arrive any moment now via UPS and I am so excited to use it. I'm kinda worried I'll just stare at it for awhile feeling very overwhelmed, but hopefully seeing beautiful slipcovers like yours will motivate me. :)

    Kacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great! That is always encouraging when you try something for the first time. It ensures there will be a second time : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on those slipper covers! I am really liking the pillows too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda - The ottoman looks so comfy and perfect in your room - fantastic job - I love the pleated bottom! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today! Hope you have a fabulous week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, did you teach yourself how to sew? I am wanting to take a class SO BAD. I can thread mine and sew some kinda straight lines, but I am dying for more. That ottoman slipcover is so super cute and I love the ruffles too! I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh while reading this! I'm scared of my sewing machine I have no clue how to thread it either! Very impressed with what you created first try...maybe I need to dust mine off too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so cute!! Bravo...great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to find a fellow Ohioan! very cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the ottoman cover, will you make me one too?! j/k =)

    I'm giving away a Shabby Apple Dress on my blog if here if you're interested.

    http://misstrixiesfavoritethings.blogspot.com/2011/06/shabby-apple-dress-giveaway.html

    Have a fab day!

    Warmly,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Amanda! You did an amazing job!!!! I just wanted to stop in and let you know I haven't forgotten about your decorating e-mail. It is still in my inbox and when I decide if I am going to go that route you will be the first person I let know! I hope you are having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. first time using a sewing machine!? Are you kidding me?! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by and as always, for your kind comments. each and every one sure does bring a smile to my face.